Thursday, October 22, 2009

Digital Storytelling Article

So, I thought that "digital literacies" were digital stories, but after reading this article I have come to a new understanding. Here is what I learned:

Digital Literacies Go to School: Potholes and Possibilities

This article helped readers gain an understanding or a clearer understand of what digital literacies are. My thoughts of digital literacies were people’s stories being put into a movie; a digital story or book. After reading this article, that is not the case and it changed my thoughts altogether.

According to O’Brien and Scharber, digital literacies are “things that digitally literate people produce (blogs, wikis, podcast)” or “activities that digitally literate people can engage in such as digital storytelling, social networking, and webpage creations” (p. 66).

Digital literacies are changing constantly because our technology is frequently changing. O’Brien and Scharber make several good points in this article; schools tend to promote old school literacies. When students leave school, they tend to “gravitate to and use new digital literacies” (p.67). I believe the use of old literacies with the bridging of new literacies will help the implementation process of technology in the classroom, without scaring any teacher away and keep the students involved.

Bibliography
O'Brien, D. & Scharber, C. (2008). Digital literacies go to school: Potholes and possibilities. International Reading Association , 66-68.

No comments:

Post a Comment