My digital story explains and demonstrates the use of an I Am poem. It is a skeleton or format of a poem. The meat of the poem is to be filled in by the writer. The poem can be formatted to fit any subject. It can be used to describe a math concept (some modifications may have to be made) or to describe a character from a book. The instructor can add to the format or take certain aspects out of the outline; it depends on your students (age, grade, etc.) Use your imagination with the format and the possibilities are endless.
I included a UnitedStreaming video to my digital story so viewers can see an example of the I Am poem in action. The video shows exactly how students or educators can use an I Am poem to describe a character from one’s perspective. The video has the outline or format of the I Am poem included in it.
I used the I Am poem outline in my class to with our poetry unit. Students went through writer’s workshop to get to the published piece. They usually don’t like to do the published piece of writer’s workshop, because they say it is the fourth time of writing their story. This time it was different; they were excited to publish a story. They really wanted to see their final product (and hear their voices).
I included one of my student’s digital stories in with my digital story so viewers can see how I implemented into my classroom. The student’s digital story that I included is a seven year old girl who is explaining things that she sees, feels, or is going through on a daily basis. This poem is part of her life story; it is one chapter of her life. She loves her hamster and her bedroom at home. She constantly worried about her parents who are in the process of a divorce. She spends the majority of her time with her mom and sees her dad on Tuesdays and every other weekend. Viewers can tell these things by listening to her poem and see how very important these things are to this seven year old, little girl.
Check out my video:
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment