Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My "soap boxes" and technology that supports creativity and production

Soap Box Number One:
In reading chapter five of Egbert, it was discussing the guidelines for supporting student’s creativity. And I agree immensely with guideline one “create an enriched environment” (p. 136). Teachers that foster creative allow students to explore, provides many examples, allows movement (not staying seated), appeals to the five senses, and so on. But I found it ironic that the text also went on to state features that smoother creativity:

• Rewards
• Time Pressures
• Overmonitoring
• Competition
• Restricted Choices
• High-Stake Evaluations
(p. 136)

I’m not saying that I agree with every single one of these, but I am agreeing with the high-stakes evaluations. I just find it kind of funny when you watch the news or read some report, you hear about how we are not creating “creative kids” anymore. We’ll what do they expect when everything we do now days is related to some high-stakes test? Hello!?!

Egbert, J. (2009). Supporting learning with technology: Essentials of classroom practice. Columbus, OH: Pearson.



Soap Box Number Two:
In chapter seven, on page 123, Boss and Krauss talk about the importance of conflict management. I consider this is a critical component of any group project, and I do think teachers need to pay close attention to the group dynamics. I also agree that teachers need to “help students learn to manage their own team conflicts” (p. 123). Otherwise things could really escalate and the main goal of the project could be lost. Solving conflicts is a real-life skill that will “serve them well for years to come” (p. 123).

All of that is great, and I agree with it and group work. The part that I don’t agree with and see a problem arising with is the “slacker”. Group work puts peer pressure on the “slacker” (yes it does), but the book goes on to say “the slacker becomes a real pain for the whole group” (p. 123). This to me causes problems with implementation of a project because students are having to spend their time making sure the “slacker” is doing his or her own work. This puts additional stress on all the other group members. Even if the teacher states that everyone will get a group grade, some students still refuse to pull their own weight. This just means that other group member will have to pick up the slack to complete the project. I do not find this fair, and why should the other group members have to worry about that when they have their own part to worry about.

Boss, S., & Krauss, J. (2007). Reinventing project-based learning: Your field guide to real-world projects in the digital age. Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment